St Joseph’s Governing Body
The Governing Body of St Joseph’s was re-constituted in 2015 and now consists of:
- Head Teacher
- Two Parent Governors (elected by all parents)
- One Local Authority Governor (nominated by the LA and approved by the Governing Body)
- Seven Foundation Governors (people from the parish, nominated by Hexham and Newcastle Roman Catholic Diocese and approved by the Governing Body)
- One Staff Governor elected by the staff of St Joseph’s
Our Chair of Governors is Mrs Lisa Kendal and the Vice-Chair is Mrs Laura Simpson
Although the Head Teacher manages the school from day to day, it is the governors, as a corporate body, who are legally responsible for the school and who work together to make decisions which are in the best interest of the children. We are responsible for supporting and challenging the school to provide the best possible education for all children. As a Governing Body we have three core strategic functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding the Head Teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well sent.
- Support and challenge the Head Teacher in managing the school
- Determine The School Improvement Plan and set the aims and objectives for the school
- Determine the policies for the achieving those aims and objectives and monitor their effectiveness
- Set the targets for achieving those aims and objectives
- Monitor and evaluate the progress the school is making towards achieving its aims and objectives
- Appoint Staff
- Prepare and set the budget and monitor school finances
In practice this usually involves scrutiny and supervision of the Head Teacher’s recommendations. However all of the above are ultimately the responsibility of the governors.
Governing Body Committee Structure:
The committee structure of our school is the mechanism through which governor’s carry out their remit of supporting and challenging the Head Teacher and Staff to deliver the vision for the school and to provide high quality teaching and learning environment for pupils. The structure reflects the schools priorities with priority given to the curriculum provided and the performance of pupils.
Our full Governing Body meets once each term and we also have two main sub committees which also meet termly. Below is a brief summary of the role of the committees:
Curriculum & Pupil Performance Committee – Chair Miss L Shepherdson, Vice-Chair Mrs L Kendal, meets termly and focuses on the curriculum, pupil attainment and progress including SEND and pupil premium and the impact of interventions.
Resources Committee – Chair Mrs A Connelly, Vice-Chair Cllr S Ronchetti, meets termly and focuses on ensuring that the school sets and uses its budget appropriately and ensures staffing levels meet the needs of the children. This committee also ensures that the school premises are kept in good condition and the school grounds are developed to enhance the learning experiences of the pupils.
Other Committees, we also have specific committees which meet as and when required which include, Pupil Disciple, Appeals & Complaints, Head Teacher’s Performance Management, Admissions and Governing Body Self Review.
Governors in School:
The Chair of Governors meets regularly with the Head Teacher, discussing relevant issues, supporting and at times providing challenge across a range of areas. All governors monitor key areas across the school with a specific focus on ensuring progress is made towards strategic goals and priorities laid out in the School Improvement Plan.
Contacting the Governing Body:
The Governing Body welcomes suggestions, feedback and ideas from parents and carers. Please contact the Chair of Governors, Mrs L Kendal via the school office or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Governing Body / Committee Membership / Attendance – Autumn 2017
Governing Body – Pecuniary Interests
Below are some pen portraits of our governors:
- Governor Statement – L Kendal
- Governor Statement – S Ronchetti
- Governor Statement – R Nesbit
- Governor Statement – L Simpson
- Governor Statement – M Kennedy
Below is our Governor Statement: